Saturday, April 21, 2007

lavation

I only feel gravity and I wonder why.

My palms are numb from the consistent pounding of water on my hands. I hold them there underneath the showerhead, unmoving and relentlessly firm. My body, statuesque, has not moved for the last ten minutes, eyes closed under the warm pressure. But my mind is in constant motion, reviewing every little decision that you've made. We believe people change for each other, only to discover we only change for ourselves. I can feel your eyes upon my naked skin, but are you really there? I refuse to look because I already know the answer. Your hands touch my eyes, wiping away drops, tears or water you can't tell, but it comforts you to perform the act. The water understands the power of distortion when I open my eyes and find nothing.

A personal fountain to the cleansing of the soul, or so I like to believe. One touch of water on my skin and black becomes white, dirt becomes gold, anger becomes love. If only, as I stand there still unmoving.

3 comments:

t said...

i dig this. you are quite a good writer, i hope praise doesn't make you squirm, but at times, ppl need to hear how talented they are. :). gl with the rest of the semester!

Kristan said...

Wow, I love this one. It's very beautifully written, and very meaningful.

Angie said...

Thanks to both of y'all!

Tu, I'm really glad you like my stuff. You're brilliant and it's really flattering. I still need to work on my writing though!