Monday, September 3, 2007

feign

I watched her pull the shiny, layered silk dress over the lumps of her body. Despite her slightly full frame, it was too loose, but I waited for her to prompt me before I gave my opinion. The wrinkles were already creasing the silk as she pushed out her right hip, and the fabric sashayed with her sudden movement.

"See how the fabric drapes over my curves? It's gorgeous," she said. I looked at her and smiled, nodding my head in agreement. Kept nodding as she twirled, sat, got up and twirled again.

"I just love the detailing," she exclaimed, pointing to the royal-colored gemstones across her neck. Purple, green and blue, vivid, very vivid. I saw myself looking at myself through their vividness. I wondered what I should say.

"It's a nice dress. It's very well-made, but I think it's too big for you," I said hesitantly. She wrinkled her nose at my comment about it's size, but nodded.

"Yes, yes, I know. But it's incredible. It's such a wonderful piece, and I could take it in," she replied, pulling the silk back around her hips, desperate to keep her treasured discovery.

I understood her appreciation. She lifted the dress over her head and replaced it on its hanger. I noticed her contemplating, about what characteristics exactly I'm not sure, the likelihood of wearing the dress.

I bought the dress for her, knowing to me she looked beautiful with or without it. But if it made her feel beautiful, how could I deny her such a small satisfaction.

2 comments:

Kristan said...

nice story. i thought it was a friend at first, then maybe a mother or a sister (maybe i'm just in The Tenth Time's frame of mind? hehe) but now a boyfriend? could be any, and that's a nice appeal.

Angie said...

Haha, well honestly I started with a man in mind, but then as I wrote I was like, who cares who it is, it can be anyone.