Sunday, March 25, 2007

panjandrum

i wonder what the air between us is thinking
when I look into your eyes

(rose)

He uses his body to keep me from shifting. This yielding embrace I have allowed him despite our questionable past. I am nothing like him: his lineage, his upbringing and his well-preserved mannerisms. I lack his restraint. Underneath his arms, I feel the weight of power and prestige. I am frail and uncertain with nothing to offer but these temporary embraces. We're never allowed to share more. We don't allow ourselves to share more. But when we look at each other in those fleeting glances, the air between us is electric. To the world he is this grand panjandrum, to me he is just a man.

1 comment:

Kristan said...

i really like this one. reminds me of the nora roberts you lent me and i'm reading, only with the roles (royal girl, normal guy) reversed.