Friday, March 2, 2007

...

Everything I've written seems too obvious. Too normal--or really too I know this is what moves people. I keep wondering what makes a good writer subtle? Or adept at style? Really, what makes a good writer: popularity, style, or marketability?

Certainly I can figure out a way to not just tell the audience: oh well, this is sad, and this, you should be angry. I have to find some way to show you, let you figure out the feelings on your own (course, there are some obvious undertones).

Anyways I actually had this horribly long rant about writing (around the word Holy Writ), and I still haven't figured it out. I honeslty don't think my writing is anything superb, but then again the point of this is to just write--regardless of any mastery of language. (Although I seem to have the description part down, perhaps because of newspaper and detective stories, not to mention I've managed to nail a few good metaphors).

Other than that I find most of my stuff silly. I can sift through my words of the day and tell you off the bat which ones I like (just a handful such as: deasil, apercu and pestilence) and which ones I don't (more than a handful such as: apologia, lotusland and jeremiad). I am glad that there is a small audience that enjoys reading my writing--most appreciated.

This makes me wonder why are we so critical of writing. I guess academia has to have certain rules to abide by, but creative? Shouldn't we be happy that some kid out there is writing, for pure pleasure, for pure happiness.

Ah well, I really love editing anyway.

No comments: